Monday, October 02, 2006
On Community Theatre Politicking
I'm sitting in on a tech rehearsal for Brendan's newest endeavor, Seussical. I've been staying nights to help him with the set, which he is building himself. He has a wonderful concept - moving towers of books acting as doorways and arches, and one giant book depicting different Seussian scenes. It's taking a lot (!) of time to do those few things though. Many a time I have wished for Matt Holman's great foam working skills (the book towers are made from sheets of pink insulating foam).

As I've been hanging around, I've heard theatre politicking the likes of which I haven't experienced in years. I had forgotten that the struggle upwards in community theatre is very dependent on rumor and the opinion of one woman, man, or committee. I used to run the rumor mill, and, at times, I was in the position to be the one woman (or on the one committee).

But, just in observation, theatre politicking is vicious stuff. It seems to be run here primarily by bitter middle aged women, the most vicious and conniving of the humans. Lots of rumors, resentment, and revenge!

And, even in observing this, I can't help but believe I could be in control of it all again. I could teach the old vengeful biddies a thing or two. HA! I will never learn.
 
posted by Graceful Peaceful German Fischer at 5:08 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


At 1:20 PM, Blogger Yax

Styrofoam is awesome stuff.

 

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Graceful Peaceful German Fischer

Ever thought of freelancing, perhaps taking up Brendan's set foamery for his next production on a food-buying cooperative basis?